Bowl Season begins today! Can the Mountain West dominate?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!  No, not the Holiday season, BOWL SEASON!  Beginning today the Mountain West Conference has a chance to show the country how good we really are.  So who will prevail and who will embarrass the conference?  Here is a look at each bowl game and my prediction:

New Orleans Bowl – Nevada vs. Louisiana (Dec. 20, 9:00am, ESPN)

This game brings us a match-up of two teams Boise State faced this year.  The Broncos dominated ULaLa 34-9 on the Blue and edged Reno 51-46 in Reno.  Despite the closer score against the Wolf Pack I actually feeel like the Ragin’ Cajuns are the better team and should be more comfortable playing a virtual home game. Cajuns 34 Reno 27

New Mexico Bowl – Utah State vs. UTEP (Dec. 20, 12:20pm, ESPN)

Despite being riddled with injuries this season the Aggies have still been able to put together a decent season, probably because they were returning the most starters in the history of college football with 57*.  UTEP is led by former Boise State offensive line coach Sean Kugler and is playing in its first bowl game since 2010, and has not won a Bowl game since 1967 (!).   Utah State 27 Miners 17

* I made this up

Las Vegas Bowl – Colorado State vs Utah (Dec. 20, 1:30pm, ABC)

The Purple bowl brings us the best team in the Mountain West Conference as determined by the media and coaches vs the best team in the Pac-12 as determined by delusional fans.  I can’t pick against the conference player of the year, and I can’t pick Utah in anything period.  Rams 28 Utes 27

Tater Bowl W. Michigan vs.  Air Force (Dec. 20, 3:45pm, ESPN)

I want to cheer for our fellow conference mates, but after this:

NOPE

Although I will be cheering for the other Broncos I think Air Force pulls this one out.  Falcons 35 Other Broncos 24

Poinsettia Bowl – Navy vs. San Diego State (Dec. 23, 7:30pm, ESPN)

This match-up brings us the Fighting Rocky Longs vs. the guys who will actually fight for our country.  This is another game where I want to cheer for our conference but just can’t.  Unfortunately I think this will be a blowout, and I am pretty sure Rocky Long feels the Navy has lost its mystique.  SDSU 45 Sailors 10

Hawaii Bowl – Rice vs. Cal State – Fresno (Dec. 24, 6:00pm, ESPN)

This is a dumpster fire of a bowl game if you ask me.  Fresno backs into a bowl with a losing record, and Rice is, well, Rice.  Both teams are just happy to be enjoying their island vacation and neither will come to play.  I will take Fresno and the under.  Bulldogs 21 Owls 10

Fiesta Bowl  – Boise State vs. Arizona (Dec 31, 2:00pm, ESPN)

Prediction coming soon!