With the news that Jay Ajayi has decided to enter the NFL draft, I decided to do some research on the history of Boise State players in the NFL. You can peruse all the information at Pro Football Reference, but here are some interesting facts and tidbits:
- Jay Ajayi is the fifth Boise State player to declare for the NFL draft after their Junior season. The other four were Orlando Scandrick (5th round), Jeremy Childs (un-drafted), Ryan Clady (1st round) and Demarcus Lawrence (2nd Round).
- Ajayi will be the 6th Boise State running back to play in the NFL. The other five were Cedric Minter, David Hughes, John Francis, Brock Forsey, and Doug Martin.
- Boise State has had 63 players play in the NFL
- Doug Martin has scored the most touchdowns with 15.
- Kimo von Oelhoffen played for the most years (14) and in the most games (198)
- Dave Wilcox played the most years as his team’s primary starter (11)
- Wilcox also leads all Broncos in the NFL with 11 Pro-Bowl selections and is the only Bronco in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Darrel Aschbacher was the first ever Bronco to play in the NFL with the Eagles in 1959.
- John Wilcox was the first Bronco ever drafted. He was picked in the 15th round by the Eagles in 1960.
- Dave Wilcox was drafted by two teams in 1964 – The San Francisco 49ers of the NFL drafted him in the 3rd round while the Houston Oilers of the AFL drafted him in the 6th. He signed with the 49ers and played his entire career there.
- Aschbacher, John Wilcox, and Dave Wilcox all attended Boise Junior College and were drafted out of the Univeristy of Oregon.
- Faddie Tillman was the first player ever drafted out of Boise State University (10th round by the Atlanta Falcons).
- Ryan Clady is the highest drafted player from Boise State. He was taken with the 12th pick of the 2008 draft. Boise State has had four first round draft picks (Clady, Shea McClellin, Doug Martin, Kyle Wilson).
- Two of the top five players in years played were un-drafted free agents. Quintin Mikell played for 11 seasons and Chris Carr played for nine.
- Position wise, Boise State really is DBU – there have been more DB’s on active Rosters than any other position at 16. Linebacker is next with eight players.
- Kellen Moore is the only QB to ever be on an active roster.
- Alphabetically, Gerald Alexander is first while Jon Zogg is last.
Good luck to Jay! We were lucky to have him at Boise State and I am sure he will represent Bronco Nation well in the NFL!